Sunday, June 5, 2011

Tried to amend my carnivorous habits

Somewhere between day 6 and 8
This is how I feel about being picked up at my hotel at 1:50 a.m. (yes thats an a)
This is how I feel about not bringing any warm clothes to Hawaii
The top of the Haleakala is awfully cold come 5 a.m. (yes thats an a)
I told Dave this might be my first sunrise ever
He laughed pretty hard about that
Only, I wasn't kidding
Pretty amazing and did I mention frigid!!!
We had some yacker from the east coast in our van on the way up.
Dude, shut the hell up at 2 in the A!!!
Good thing he wasn't around me for the sunrise or I may have pushed him in.
We then biked back down on these old school granny bikes and the men wanted to kill the women who were in front riding their brakes the whole way down. I wasn't quite that wimpy but I still wouldn't have gone nuts, it was pretty steep at times & I wasn't really comfortable on granny the bike w/the squishy brakes & bouncy seat
I have been awake for sunrises before but it was my first one to actually watch. Dave still thought that was funny! We stopped at a restaurant on our way home to eat breakfast & low and behold Mr. East Coast/talk a mile a minute was at the table right behind us. Dave made a great joke and I couldn't stop laughing (not appropriate for blog publishing) and then he was shusshing me even though he was the one who said it. It was just in mockery of annoying chatterbox but out of character for Dave so I KNEW he must be really annoying!!!
Dave was surprisingly more grumpy about the a.m. activity than I was. Looks like I might be more of a morning person than him but that's not saying much.
Oh yeah and this gay pose that the guys thought was so ingenious.
The guy running this whole shebang couldn't shut his yap the whole morning either. Had it not been so impressive how he just jumped from one subject to the next w/out so much as an "uh huh" from anyone else I would have grabbed him from behind and choked the life out of him. Did I mention I was more of a morning person than Dave?
This is the view from Cheeseburger in Paradise that I thought was nice. They had live music and the guy was really good and doing good music. I could have stayed their all evening, but it might have had something to do w/my drunken tired stupor. When someone does Eagles, Jimmy Buffet, Simon and Garfunkel and such well it is right in my relaxation zone!!! Plus, the burgers were awesome and my pineapple drink.

The next Day Dave took a surf lesson
Dave always masters things really easily so we figured he would have this in the bag. He was surprised at how hard it was and said it's much different than surfing behind the boat. Toward the end he tweaked his back and walked like an 80 year old the rest of the trip.I found God down on Front street that day
or at least one of his surf bum prophets
I sometimes wonder if the way I looked at him was the way people looked at good ol' Joseph Smith and it made me feel sad for the poor boy and then man.
I enjoyed listening to him for a while by the Banyan tree because so much he had to say was true, just w/a little twist here and there that made me smile.
Shoot I forgot to write down the day that Jesus is coming. This guy knew!
I really should have blogged sooner - I am really relying on these pics now for memory jog

5 comments:

Chad said...

At first glance I thought you guys had ridden the bike like that all the way down the hill. That would have been impressive. I want to hear the inappropriate joke though. You should share if you are going to mention it at all. Not fair.

Natalie said...

I'm laughing imagining you in a grouchy a.m. stupor with Mr. Chatty. At first, I felt sorry for you. But then I remembered a looooong bus ride hime from Oakcrest when you and Jamie sang "Little Red Caboose" the whole way home - in that high-pitched voice you reserve special for that song.

Natalie said...

I'm laughing imagining you in a grouchy a.m. stupor with Mr. Chatty. At first, I felt sorry for you. But then I remembered a looooong bus ride hime from Oakcrest when you and Jamie sang "Little Red Caboose" the whole way home - in that high-pitched voice you reserve special for that song.

Lisa said...

I miss morning April. I wish she would come out and play again with with me!!

Barbara said...

April you are hilarious! It was fun to see your pictures, it took me down memory lane. I lived in Lahaina for a couple of summers!

Best Song lyrics ever

Pictures