Friday, June 4, 2010

What do your Rice Krispies say to you?

A clique (pronounced /ˈkliːk/, also US: /ˈklɪk/) is an inclusive group of people who share interests, views, purposes, patterns of behavior, or ethnicity.[1] A clique as a reference group can be either normative or comparative. Membership in a clique is typically exclusive, and qualifications for membership may be social or essential to the nature of the clique. The term 'clique' may be used pejoratively.

Have you ever been accused of associating with such? Initially I would be irritated by this accusation because just as in the definition the term is usually used in a negative way but upon further investigation I noticed the good sides of such associations.
How does one avoid ever being klik-ish? Lock all the doors, close the blinds and never speak to anyone. Why No!!! Then we would be categorized as snobbish.

Can anyone win? Is it possible?

I like most people and I can put up with a lot of crap from people most of the time. I am fairly forgiving (unless pushed too far for too long). People can be super annoying and I don't really mind that much as long as I don't have to live with them.
But, am I not allowed to have really close relationships with those that I really connect with, without being called something negative?
There are so many people that I am sure I would really really have a great friendship with and the opportunity just hasn't presented itself yet. Am I terrible because I take my extra time to keep my strong friendships strong instead of running around making sure everyone thinks I am their BFF? I have 4 kids and a husband and sometimes I have to neglect the friends I do have so what am I to do?
I know all my answers to this and to be honest I won't change a thing. I try to never purposely exclude anyone. I hate hurting peoples feelings unnecessarily and I do my best to avoid it.

So, my question is: If we feel like others are cliques, is the problem really just us and our attitude? our lack of friend making skills? our self loathing or pity? Or do we just think that there are a lot of things going on that really aren't? or jealousy maybe?
Maybe a combination of all!!!

I like my kliks.............all of them!!!

10 comments:

Aimee said...

Am I in your klik? You're just "a popular."

Anonymous said...

My clique is me, the dog, those dams kids and the husband. Does that make me cool?

Anonymous said...

oh and now I want some rice crispies, skool lunch style....

Sarah Lee said...

I stopped worrying about said issue a while back. You tend to go towards people with the same interests as you, who you find fun, interesting, and enjoyable to be around. You're usually in the same stage of life and can relate to each other. What is wrong with that? nothing. I've gotten the same thing in this ward with the ladies you just met last night. There is a pretty big group of us and we are always inviting people to things and new members in the ward. So, as far as the definition, we are NOT a clique. It's not exclusive and there are no qualifications, but still there are a few "gals" in the ward who think we are such. Funny thing is we have invited those gals and funny thing, they don't ever come.

Sarah Lee said...

i said funny thing twice.

Lisa said...

I can't wait to hear the story of what brought this on!!! That is if I remember to ask you when I talk to you. I say klik away!! Some people are just stupid I think. I would say insecurity is a major issue of why people have "clique" issues. Be friends with whomever you want. As long as one is me!!!

Chad said...

I am a one man clique.

Chad said...

Seriously though, the funny thing is that I enjoyed this post. And the funny thing is I think you are on to something here. Funny thing about that is I think there a lot of people, both old friends and new neighbors that probably think I am a snob in a clique. The funny thing is that I used to try hard to please everyone, and tried hard to keep in touch. Then I realized that as long as I was having fun and doing what I wanted to do, all was good. Funny thing is that Sarah hit a few things right on the head that I won't recant here.

Hendricksonblog said...

Chad, You are a funny thing and you are in a blogging clique with a bunch of ladies......hmmm.... I know what we don't have in common w/you but I wonder what our commonality is? We like to look at ourselves think maybe.

Natalie said...

Clique away! *click, click, click, click*

It's their problem. Not yours. You're a nice gal.

Best Song lyrics ever

Pictures