Sunday, June 27, 2010

I wanna break on down But I cant stop now

Me, Nellie, Sue (Dave likes to call her that) and Matt (Family-minus Keri)
Started out Yesterday great and very very thirsty but ended it with illness, surprise surprise!
I thought I just had monster allergies yesterday but when the up chuck began I realized it wasn't allergies. Maybe I can blame my 3 little sets of walking in the 5K on this. Yeah, probably not.
I have major fear of running in an actual race. Fears as usual are unrealistic and stupid and that is exactly what this fear entailed. I can do 8 miles on my treadmill yet I am scared to run 3, In a "race". I don't know why I was worried. I don't care about winning. I run right now for weight loss not for recognition. I usually run outside at night so the morning kicked my butt. My time was 35:27 or something like that. Not great but hey 10 more minutes of exercise for me vs. the fast runners (suckas!!!). Good justification for being in the same time as the winners of the 60 yr old group anyway. The West Fest 5K had a pretty poor turnout and made me a little disappointed in my community of lazy butts. Get out of Bed!!! I did, and we all know how much I like sleeping in. I will bring my own water next time, and maybe my husband. Dave had to get Logan off to Cub Camp and take care of the rest of the herd. I was surprised at the end of the race to see Clyde there but I guess Norma and her friend Janet did it also. Norma won in her age group but wasn't there to get her ribbon. Susan and Nellie were also winners in their age groups. I however won $5 to Smash Burger. They win for fitness, I win food. Hmmm.......
Me, Nellie, Lisa, Keri, Sheri, Karen, Anjanette (sistas from otha mistas--cept Nellie)
It felt good to run it but to be honest I am more proud of myself each night I go out and run 5 miles without walking and to know that 28 lbs ago this was not something I could do. I am glad to be finding the old "April" under here somewhere. Mentally and physically. 30-35 more to go and then look out African man who ran this race in 16 min. Ha ha just kidding.
One day I might get to 28 min.
Lots of Love to my 5 a.m. exercise buddies/weight loss support, BFF's (I love saying that ha ha) and lets not forget my little drug Metformin that have helped me get to where I am.
Adios chubsy.
(seriously this song was playing on my ipod on the last mile. Thanks Jack for making me feel like a train)

15 comments:

The Royals said...

It was so fun! I love when people are there to support you! I am where you are April, with finding my old self buried deep in the fatness that was once me!

Keri said...

I think you are a complete and total rockstar! Sorry that you got sick - (and yes I think it affected your run.) Everyone should be proud that they kicked my butt, guess I need to train harder for the 10K!! (Hope you join us!)
PS - my verification word is "travist" which makes me think about my travesty in running, blah!

Susan Catmull said...

Had to laugh to myself as I pictured you running that last straightaway blowing past that little African man to the finish line. GO APRIL GO!
Well my verification word is CESTYPIT. OOOH I think that is something icky that I don't want to type or say or even look at. LOL

Lisa said...

Running for the fun of it with friends in the evening or not is just as fulfilling as racing I think. I am glad I did the race to keep me in my "be better" mode. I have some major weight loss of 20 lbs to go and that picture will just keep reminding me of that. So thanks 5k run!! Sorry you are a sicky.

DJ and Gin Family said...

I miss the old West Fest days. I didn't even know that they had a 5k associated with the festivities. Well you can definitley run faster and WAY farther than I can. I'm impressed, keep up the good running!!

Mama H. said...

Nice to find someplace where old age is an advantage. It was a fun surprise to find you and Keri and your gang after the race. Now, can someone figure out how to take off 20 years instead of pounds???

Hendricksonblog said...

After I lose the pounds I will start looking into the age thing.

Natalie said...

Good job, April! Seeing your pictures and reading about your run makes me want to sign up for some races. I'm getting my running chops back.

I'm with you on the time thing. It's harder to run for over 30 minutes than it is to run for 16 minutes. That's what I tell myself in my marathons. It's harder to run for 5 hours than for 2.5. Who's the real winner?

Aimee said...

So proud. You did it! This post brought tears to my eyes. Mostly because I was at Girls Camp listening to a bunch of whiny girls insist that I french braid their hair. Ok so camp isn't that bad, but you cannot include me in the lazy west valley category. And, btw 28 lbs. is awesome! You are so dedicated. You are an inspiration to me. Lol (I love saying that ha ha)

My word verification is PARYET. I think it's scrambled and really supposed to be Partey (pronounced par - tay) cause I am a party girl.

Chad said...

I hate running. It makes me tired. I run so I can eat what I want. Donut? "Yes please, make it two, I ran today."

Hendricksonblog said...

Oh Chad I one day want to be where you are when I am running just so I can eat what I want. That will be my own personal paradise.
P.S. I think running might make me tired too.

Anonymous said...

Rumnning hurts my boobies. I am more of a speed walker, kind of like the dad from "Malcolm in the middle" Poor reference.

Good for you, for the run and 28 pounds. That's a two year old :)

Nichole said...

My tummy gets all grumbly before a race because I am so competetive but I know I will be wasted by everyone else there! I am also not a runner but have found that running is the only exercise that really gets my weight down!!

Good job on the race and every time you run 8 miles on your treadmill! The most I have ever ran is 6.5miles and my head tells me I can't do more!!

Now if you can run 8 on the treadmill then you and everyone else can sign up for the 10k on July 24th with Christian and I!! I believe it's mostly downhill too! Or there is the Swiss Days 10k in September in Midway. It would be a lot of fun...when it's over...

Hendricksonblog said...

I am seriously thinking about the 10K on the 24th but dont want to plan on it too soon or I will sprain my ankle or something. A few of my friends are already signed up I think. I would love to see you there.

Natalie said...

I ran the 10K on the 24th like ten years ago. It's a great one! Way more people running and cheering you on. It's very motivating. Probably way different than the old West Fest jog. You should do it.

Running hurts my boobies too.

Best Song lyrics ever

Pictures